Our history

Established in 1890, James Gibson set up his Chartered Accountancy practice at the Post Office Chambers on Regent Street in Barnsley.

The firm was originally known as James Gibson and Son and his two sons, Herbert and James soon joined the business. As the business grew, Robin Gibson, the son of James junior joined the family firm and the business moved to Union Bank Chambers on Royal Street.

In 1976, the office moved to Victoria Road, from where it continues to operate. The practice continued to develop and grow incorporating several mergers with other small accountancy firms eventually leading to a merger with Booth Lindley of Huddersfield in 1994. With this merger, the company changed its name to Gibson Booth until further restructuring of the business led the company to its current form as Gibson Booth Limited.

In 2014, Robert Watson took over the role of Managing Director and is joined by two other Directors and 29 staff members.