Our History

Gibson Booth Limited can trace its roots to James Gibson who set up his Chartered Accountancy business in August 1890 at the Post Office Chambers on Regent Street in Barnsley.

He was followed into the business by his two sons, Herbert and James. The company, then known as James Gibson and Son, moved to Union Bank Chambers on Royal Street in the town, and Robin Gibson, son of James junior, joined the family firm.

Further business growth led to a need for additional office space and a move to Victoria Road in 1976, from where the business continues to operate to this day.

Several mergers with other accountancy firms followed, with the merger of Booth Lindley of Huddersfield in 1994 leading to the business becoming known as Gibson Booth.

The business continued to strengthen and following a restructure the business was incorporated to form Gibson Booth Limited in 2013. Robert Watson took over the mantle of Managing Director from March 2014.

Having celebrated our 125th Anniversary, we are now a four director firm of Chartered Accountants and Business Advisers in Barnsley, with 31 staff.

Gibson Booth Associates

Salary Solutions

payroll bureau

Financial Planning

Avensure

employment law